Monday, March 11, 2013

Deep Fried Swedish Turnip


..or maybe you call it rutabaga/swede/yellow turnip. 

These days I'm eating much less carbs and more fat (more fat as in using full fat products instead of using light products etc.) and when I feel like eating french fries I make these instead.


  • Use a potato peeler and peel the swede (yes, I'm giggling inside about that phrase).
  • Cut it in half and then cut it to the size you want your "fries".


  • Put them in a pot with water and boil them for 7 minutes.
  • Then put them in a strainer and let them dry.
  • I have a deep fryer and I put it on 175 degrees celsius, you can deep fry with just a regular pot and a thermometer but I haven't so I can't give you any tips about that.
  • When the oil has come up to the right temperature, put your swedes in and let them fry until they have some colour.


  • I'm always busy making the things I will eat with the fries so I don't know how long it takes but I stop frying them when they're at this colour.
  • Take them out and put them on some paper towels to get some of the oil off. 
  • Sprinkle some salt over them and they're ready to be eaten!

No comments:

Post a Comment